Tara Aevermann Potts
Cook Brooks Johnson PLLC
Tara Aevermann Potts is an attorney who concentrates her practice in the area of tax-exempt organizations. She has advised numerous tax-exempt organizations on a variety of nonprofit corporate and tax-related issues under Section 501(c) of the Internal Revenue Code, including issues related to organization, qualification, combination, conversion, lobbying, political campaign activity, private inurement, excess benefit, and unrelated business income. She also advises private foundations on issues related to self-dealing, minimum distribution requirements, excess business holdings, jeopardizing investments, taxable expenditures, and foreign activities. She also advises supporting organizations, institutions of higher education, religious organizations, community foundations, donor advised fund sponsors, governmental entities, social welfare organizations, trade associations, business leagues, title-holding companies, and social clubs regarding issues specific to such organizations. She also has practiced in the areas of corporate and partnership law and federal and state tax law representing clients in all stages of their businesses from the formation of the entity through the implementation of the exit strategy of the business. Tara is a Certified Public Accountant who formerly practiced with Arthur Andersen before attending law school.
New York University School of Law, LL.M. 2000
Washington University School of Law, J.D. 1999
- Journal of Urban and Contemporary Law, Associate Editor
Miami University, B.S. 1994
Professional Involvement and Licenses
- Certified Public Accountant (Texas)-2005
- Past Treasurer of the Austin Tax Study Group-2008-2012
- Member of the Austin Chapter of the Texas Society of Certified Public Accountants
- Member of the Partnership and Real Estate Tax Committee of the Tax Section of the State Bar of Texas
- Member of the Tax Exempt Committee of the Tax Section of the State Bar of Texas
- Member of the Corporate and Tax Section of the Austin Bar Association
- Member of the Animal Welfare Committee of the Austin Bar Association
- Member of Board of Directors, Parliamentarian and President Elect of National Charity League – Hill Country Chapter (2022-2023)
- Member of National Charity League – Hill Country Chapter (2021-Present)
- Member of Austin Humane Society Capital Campaign Volunteer Corps Steering Committee (2020-Present)
- T & C Youth Sports Coach (2014-2019)
- Member of the Board of Directors of Hand to Hold (2013-2018)
- Chair of the Finance Committee of Hand to Hold (2017-2018)
- Chair of the Development Committee of Hand to Hold (2015-2017)
- Secretary of the Animal Law Section of the Austin Bar Association (2013-2015)
- Co-Chair of the Outreach Committee of the Animal Law Section of the Austin Bar Association (2013)
Admitted to Practice
- Texas, 2002
- Illinois, 1999
Recent Presentation Topics
- Panelist, “Legal and Accounting 101-Fundraising Events and Donations,” Art of the Gala (October 2019).
- Presenter, “Commerciality Doctrine: Flirting with UBIT,” Austin Chapter CPA Tax Conference (November 2018).
- Panelist, “A Round Table Conversation: Topics in Nonprofit Governance,” J.P. Morgan Private Bank (September 2018).
- Presenter, “Commerciality Doctrine: Flirting with UBIT,” TSCPA Nonprofit Organizations Conference (May 2018).
- Presenter, “Form 990: Key Compliance Points and Disclosure Considerations,” National Business Institute (June 2014).
- Presenter, “Handling Contributions and Tax Deductions,” National Business Institute (June 2014).
- Presenter, “Unrelated Business Taxable Income,” National Business Institute (June 2014).