Tara Aevermann Potts
Cook Brooks Johnson PLLC
Tara Aevermann Potts is an attorney who concentrates her practice in the areas of corporate and partnership law and federal and state tax law. She represents clients in all stages of their businesses from the formation of the entity through the implementation of the exit strategy of the business. Tara’s experience with entities includes reorganizations, mergers, acquisitions, restructurings, conversions, and redemptions and admissions of partners, members and shareholders. She also assists individuals, non-profit corporations and all types of business entities with federal and state tax matters. Tara represents clients in a number of industries including, but not limited to, real estate investors and developers, medical professionals, schools, and oil and gas companies. Tara is a Certified Public Accountant who formerly practiced with Arthur Andersen before attending law school.
- Advise individuals and business owners with respect to federal and state tax matters.
- Assist clients with formation of new entities and businesses.
- Assist business clients with reorganizations, mergers, acquisitions, restructurings, conversions, and redemptions and admissions of partners and shareholders.
- Design plans to protect personal and family assets.
- Assist non-profit corporations regarding all tax matters, including, but not limited to, obtaining federal and state tax-exempt status, reorganizations, operational requirements and filing retroactive reinstatement applications for tax-exempt entities whose status has been revoked.
- Represent individuals, non-profit corporations and business entities with matters involving federal tax controversies including controversies involving individual, corporate partnership and employment taxes.
- Represent individuals and businesses with matters concerning the Texas Comptroller, including, but not limited to, obtaining letter rulings.
New York University School of Law, LL.M. 2000
Washington University School of Law, J.D. 1999
- Journal of Urban and Contemporary Law, Associate Editor
Miami University, B.S. 1994
Professional Involvement and Licenses
- Certified Public Accountant (Texas)-2005
- Past Treasurer of the Austin Tax Study Group-2008-2012
- Member of the Austin Chapter of the Texas Society of Certified Public Accountants
- Member of the Partnership and Real Estate Tax Committee of the Tax Section of the State Bar of Texas
- Member of the Tax Exempt Committee of the Tax Section of the State Bar of Texas
- Member of the Corporate and Tax Section of the Austin Bar Association
- Member of the Animal Welfare Committee of the Austin Bar Assocation
- Member of the Board of Directors of Hand to Hold
- Chair of the Finance Committee of Hand to Hold
- Chair of the Development Committee of Hand to Hold (2015-2017)
- Secretary of the Animal Law Section of the Austin Bar Association (2013-2015)
- Co-Chair of the Outreach Committee of the Animal Law Section of the Austin Bar Association (2013)
- T & C Youth Sports Coach
Admitted to Practice
- Texas, 2002
- Illinois, 1999
Recent Presentation Topics
- Presenter, “Commerciality Doctrine: Flirting with UBIT,” Austin Chapter CPA Tax Conference (November 2018).
- Panelist, “A Round Table Conversation: Topics in Nonprofit Governance,” J.P. Morgan Private Bank (September 2018).
- Presenter, “Commerciality: Flirting with UBIT,” TSCPA Nonprofit Organizations Conference (May 2018).
- Presenter, “Form 990: Key Compliance Points and Disclosure Considerations,” National Business Institute (June 2014).
- Presenter, “Handling Contributions and Tax Deductions,” National Business Institute (June 2014).
- Presenter, “Unrelated Business Taxable Income,” National Business Institute (June 2014).